PROTECT THE OZONE LAYER- PROTECT YOURSELF
Can we live in a house without a roof? We cannot, because roof provides us shelter. Similarly the ozone layer acts as a roof protecting us from harmful radiations. The lower portion of earth’s stratosphere that absorbs most of the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) radiation is called as Ozone layer or Ozone shield. It contains high concentration of O3 or trioxygen. It is an allotrope of oxygen and is formed from dioxygen by the action of Ultraviolet light and atmospheric electrical discharges. Ozone layer protects the life on earth by preventing the Ultraviolet light from reaching earth’s surface.
The ozone layer was discovered by French Physicists Charles Fabry and Henri Buisson in the year 1913. British meteorologist G. M. B. Dobson explored the properties of ozone layer. He also established ozone monitoring stations worldwide which are in operation till date.
On December 19th, 1994 The United Nation General assembly designated September 16th as International Ozone Day for the preservation of the Ozone Layer.
Depletion of ozone layer was observed during the later part of 70’s and since then it showed a decline of 4% per decade. There is a remarkable decrease over the polar regions of the earth. Man made halocarbon refrigerants such as CFC’S (Chlorofluorocarbons), freons and halons that are released into the atmosphere are the main reason for the destruction of ozone layer. These harmful substances strike the ozone layer and split it apart so they are also known as OD’S (OZONE DEPLETING SUBSTANCES). The depletion of ozone layer has become a worldwide concern because thinning of the protective over coat above the earth is allowing the dangerous ultra-violet radiations to strike the earth. These radiations lead to skin cancer, cataracts and also cause a heavy damage to plant and animal life. Therefore it’s completely our responsibility to protect ozone and save earth. Know More
What can be done by us to protect the depleting ozone layer??
- The easiest way to control ozone depletion would be either to limit or control the use of private vehicles as the carbon monoxide gas emitted by the vehicles creates smog which has the potential to destroy ozone layer. Using public transport or bicycle, car pooling, and walking would limit the usage of individual transportation.
- The household cleaning products we use contain toxic chemicals that interfere with ozone layer. Usage of eco-friendly and natural cleaning products for household is another way to prevent ozone depletion.
- Usage of pesticides could be an easiest solution for getting rid of pests, but they are harmful for the ozone. Therefore we can either weed manually or use natural remedies rather than using pesticides.
- We should avoid usage of ozone depleting products. Although usage of CFC’s has been banned or reduced in many applications we need to check the label on hairsprays, deodorants and household chemicals before we buy them.
- While buying wood products we need to assure that they are not treated with methyl bromide since such wood products will produce off gas elemental bromine that depletes ozone.
- Organic and inorganic fertilizers are the largest human source of nitrous oxide production which is now the main culprit in ozone depletion. Therefore we need to educate farmers regarding the ozone layer and suggest them practices that save money as well as reduce emissions.
Talk to your friends; encourage them to play their role in protecting ozone layer.
Fuel cell vehicles-
These are zero emission cars that run on Hydrogen. Unlike battery cells that need to be charged from external source, fuel cells can generate electricity directly using Hydrogen or natural gas. Fuel cell vehicles are hybrids, where fuel cells generate electricity that is stored in batteries. Hydrogen is clean burning producing only vapour. Hence usage of fuel cells will make environment completely pollution free. Once production and distribution infrastructure of hydrogen becomes affordable, fuel cell vehicles will be seen all over the roads. Automative companies have just begun pilot of fuel cell vehicles. More information at Know More
Install a Tesla at home for storing energy, it is revolutionary-
Power wall, unveiled by Tesla motors earlier this year is a plug-and-play Lithium ion battery that draws electricity from the grid when demand and rates are low or sucks it from solar panels from your roof. The energy is saved for use during peak power demand hours. Power wall can be mounted on a wall. It comes in two different models, one 7 KWH and costs $3000 and is meant for solar energy saving and one is 10 KWH model, costs $3500 and is meant to store energy for weeks. Power wall, has already become a popular product and is sold out through mid-2016